Monday, August 3, 2009

CLINICAL TRIAL!!!

I just got off the phone with my endo- he called to ask if I would be interested in participating in a study on a new delivery method of Sandostatin (well, it's basically the same stuff, but different name) that would last for 6 months! Instead of a shot, it would be small pellet that is implanted just under the skin on the arm (they apply novocain so supposedly it won't hurt). I vaguely remember reading about something like this a while back. Once every 6 months!? That sounds so great! I might almost feel like a normal human being free from the tangles of waiting rooms, chemo centers (that's where they administer my shot sometimes), exorbitant parking fees at the hospital, random nurses (some are wonderful, some don't follow the directions and stress me out), recurring copays, or when I have the shot at home, needles, prescription refills, pharmacies, and boxes requiring constant refrigeration!

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to go through with this, but I'm very interested- what do all of you think?

Anyway, I asked him if It was OK to share this information with all of you, and he was very open to the idea. If you are in the Northern California area and you are interested in finding out more, please email me and I'll be happy to pass along my endo's contact info! From what I've heard, they're only accepting people during the month of September, and you have to have your levels currently "controlled" (within 20% of normal) on a dose of Sandostatin that you've maintained for a minimum of 3 months.

1 comment:

Starbucks Addict said...

I'm pretty happy with my treatment right now. My primary doctor does my monthly shots, and I'm usually in and out in 30 minutes total from the time I walk into the office. Good luck if you decide to participate. It's a very interesting idea, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I'm interested in knowing if it will provide a consistent enough dose, and if there will be any problems with scarring/infection at the incision site.