Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pesticides and Acromegaly?

In a comment on the last post,
Starbucks Addict said...

On the finding causes front, I'm wondering if any of you may have been exposed to pesticides regularly? We moved to our new home in 2001. We had a major ant problem and I started having our home treated for pests regularly. They sprayed outside the home every few months starting in 2001, and a few times a year indoors for the first year or two. I started showing visible signs of the Acromegaly in 2003.
Thanks, Jenny, for the insight! I had heard about a cluster of people with acromegaly in India where the local doctors suspected pesticide poisoning:

and upon further research found this additional article from the same author which was actually published earlier:

A select quote:
"These cases are very common in rural India where pesticide poisoning is rampant," said Dr Baldeep Khurana, a general physician."
Have you been exposed to pesticides? Please describe in the comments section! We need to gather more information because this merits a deeper investigation!


Starbucks Addict said...

Looks like Ms Moge posted about this back in September too huh? I just can't keep up with everything! :-)

polarchip said...

Oh yes, that must have been where I saw it first:

It's exciting that there is so much progress and discovery in understanding acromegaly!

Starbucks Addict said...

A list of some insecticides we were exposed to from 2005-2009: Bifenthrin, Pyrethrin, Cyhalothrin, Chlorfenapyr, Fipronil. Can't find my data from 2001-2004 so the list may be longer.