Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wayne and Jenny: full resolution, no latency!

Guess what?  Last week, Jenny (Starbucks Addict), Wayne (AcromegalyCommunity), and I met up in person!  Jenny and I met for the first time back in January but Wayne and I had only talked over video chat before.

I immediately felt so comfortable and open talking with them.  We had dinner together, and it was such a relief to be able to talk about this disease, this life, without having to cushion things or explain.  We just had an understanding.  And we didn't just talk about acromegaly the whole time- we talked about our lives like old friends do when they're catching up.

Being able to converse in real time was so fantastic - email, chat, and even video chat have a delay between responses which you don't realize until you're sitting in person with someone.  As wonderful as it is to have an online community of acromegaly friends, meeting in person is important too!  I hope that there will be many more opportunities for us meet up again, and I hope that we can gather more people to join us as well.

8 comments:

Starbucks Addict said...

I'm glad we met up :-) It was fun, and definitely a bright spot in my crazy week! I immediately felt like I was seeing old friends. It's great to have a support network online and IRL.

Anonymous said...

It's brilliant to see a photo of the three of you together. It sounds like you had a great time.

Let's hope you have the opportunity to meet up again.

Trys

Wayne N. Brown said...

it was fantastic! Cant wait till we start having formal events!

Devo said...

Hi! I just googled "Acromegaly blogs" to find your page.. I currently live with the Acromegaly disease as well. It's nice to see other people out there with it. I will continue to follow your blog. I am situated in NYC. I have been thinking about starting a charity or something to that extent with this disease in mind but have really never met anyone else with it. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. I found the disease when I was 22 years old. I have been disease-free for 8 years, but still have some effects of the disease. Anyways, would love to hear more about everyone that follows this. Thans, Devon

polarchip said...

Hi Devo!

I'm so excited we found each other! I'd love to talk with you more (there is an email link on my profile).

I wish you all the best and I hope to hear from you more!

Alecia E. said...

What a great post and how very cool to see y'all together in a photo - makes me wish I lived closer!

RumAndChupacabras said...

Awesome! I'm a HUGE fan of meeting up in person with people that have come to mean something to me via the Internet. Good For You All...YAY!

Cess Lubag said...

That's great, Ellen. You have been a great help to many of us... And posts like this makes acceptance of acromegaly a bit easier...